สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Saturday, December 6, 2008

Falang

Sometimes on the very rare occasion, Thailand frustrates me. It isn't even that Thailand frustrates me, but being a falang in Thailand does. No matter how well you speak Thai, how good your accent is or how similar to Thai people you are, you will always be a falang; you will always be treated differently.

For the most part, Thai people are delighted to hear that you can speak Thai. As soon as you say "Hello" in Thai they start giggling and get excited that your accent is no longer Canadian, but verging on Thai. In Bangkok, all of this is different. Bangkok is where all the flights come in, where the streets are infested with falangs who cannot speak a word of Thai, whose accents are still Canadian and who verge away from certain food so they don't get traveller's diarrhea. I don't mind, they are tourists, they are travelling - they don't have to know the language, they don't have to have a Thai accent and they don't have to eat everything. But for me, I have to learn Thai, I have to lose my Canadian accent and I am subject to try EVERYTHING on a menu [and trust me, I have tried some things anyone sensible would steer clear of]. But because of the falangs who are tourists, the Thai people in Bangkok do not expect you to speak Thai. No matter how many times you tell them "I can speak Thai, I understand" IN Thai, they will always reply to you in English. This frustrates me more than anything. In Nakhon Phanom I am the falang who speaks great Thai, who has lost her Canadian accent and can have conversations with the shopkeepers. In Bangkok I am just another falang who needs the shopkeeper to say the price in English.

On top of the language frustrations there are the eating habits. I was never one to eat breakfast and though I have broken that habit now that I am in Thailand, I still am not one to be craving a big meal in the morning. I will have toast, or some fruit, or leftover vegetables from dinner the night before. This weekend I have been in Bangkok and the relatives of my host family pester me constantly to eat more food. I tell them I am not hungry, that I am full and they still bother me to try something, to eat more. On Friday they took me to the mall for KFC - I am never one to turn down deepfried chicken so I ordered something small. They didn't eat with me. Right after I finished eating they took me to a fancy hotel for Dim Sum. I didn't understand why they had taken me for take out when 15 minutes later they would be taking me to a big fancy lunch at a hotel restaurant. They thought I wanted falang food. At lunch we ate with chopsticks and I have always been confident with my chopstick skills - they improved immensely since I arrived in Thailand. These chopsticks were weighted down with lead on the end, not the throw away wooden type you use at food stalls in Nakhon Phanom. It wasn't a problem until I tried to dip my roll into soya sauce, then I couldn't pick it up again because it was so covered in sauce! I used my spoon to put it on my plate and then I continued eating. However, because of this small clumsy moment one of the women at the table asked the waiter to bring me a fork and spoon. AS IF I NEEDED A FORK AND SPOON. I am a clumsy person - I walk into things, I drop things, I stub my toe - I can't even eat with a fork and spoon without dropping rice on the tablecloth. I told them "I don't want a fork and spoon". They didn't bring me one, and the rest of the lunch I ate perfectly with my heavier-than-normal chopsticks.
For the rest of the lunch the women at the table kept pushing food at me, telling me to eat more. I was full, I had just eaten KFC and then they took me out to lunch which I had eaten my share of. I could not eat anymore, and yet they kept telling me "Just try this one, you'll like it." When I didn't eat it, they made comments that I didn't like it, that I wanted to eat falang food.

Sometimes, being a foreigner drives me insane - you are never accepted as a Thai person, your natural habits are always judged as a "falang thing".

At other times, however, the shopkeepers at the floating market give you discounts on merchandise because you sound just like a Thai. (:

"It is not how we are the same, but how we are different"

4 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

Argh that would be so freaking annoying. I know I would end up looking bad because after awhile I would just flat out say anything completely straight. Meh, something I'll have to get used to no matter where I decide to go.

Lioness said...

Oh ma emma, sounds a bit like a nightmare. I'm with you there. People still call me the "falang" at school. I've started walking up to them and telling them that my name isn't "falang" it's P'Sai. And then the giggle start. I hated how people would speak to me in english in bangkok. It's the same in any other city though, Ubon, Khon Kaen. It's annoying.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma - your comments about the locals speaking English to you reminds me of the time David and I were in France. He would speak French, and they would respond in English!! He got frustrated, but after asking them to answer in French, they said they were trying to practice their English, and this was a good way to learn. So perhaps the Thai people want to practice their English to speak as well as you speak Thai.
Congratulations on learning their language. I know how difficult it is, especially having a different alphabet to confuse things even more. So well done.
We are really enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.
Cheers, Sandra and David Evans

Anonymous said...

Wow! that's interesting!! Na son jai mark mark!!!
Well I will talk to you in Thai when you come to Bangkok then!!!