สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Monday, April 6, 2009

Sea, sand and sky

I have returned from paradise and surprisingly, I am relieved.

All of the Rotary exchange students in district 3340 along with Papa P, P Dog and Smokey (Smokey's wife and son as well as P Dog's son came along for the ride as well) just came back from a two week trip to the South of Thailand. Our Never Never Land for 10 days had the clearest of clear waters - they turquoise reflection of the sky swam beautifully in the water amongst all the fish and sea life you could possibly imagine. I could not have dreamed up a more beautiful habitat. Large green islands sprang up through the water as we drove by in our speed boat, the sun bounced off the ripples in the water and lit up our faces as we stared in awe at the beauty surrounding us. Then there was the sand - a white stretch of silk for us to walk on along the shore of the bustling beach.

There were giant rocks to climb up and jump off of, stalactites hanging eerily in lagoons, natural caves that twisted and turned under water. I was locked in a book of paint chips; I could choose any colour I liked and see it first hand, in the flesh and blood. Choosing a colour for my bedroom back home would never have been easier.

Most of our time was spent snorkelling, roaming the beaches and jumping off the side of our fishing boat into the warm, living water beneath us. We started to jump from the lower deck, and as we took turns our fear of heights rushed away - we jumped from the top deck, off of the railings and finally... the roof. Two days and nights were spent on the Similan Islands - the most remote islands in Thailand, where we spent the days petting sea turtles, swimming with giant eels, playing in a coral playground and jumping into water so deep the only thing you could see was the rich blue of the water surrounding you. The sun drove through the water like daggers, leaving silvery trails of light beaming from above; the sea, appeared bottomless. We found poisonous salt water snakes, fish the width of my thigh and in every colour of the rainbow. Striped, spotted, blotched, big, medium, small, flatfish, round fish - they were all there. And one day... we found Nemo (not to mention all of his friends).

In the evenings we explored the island, climbing over rocks like daggers in our bare feet, clambering between jungle trees and scaring away hundreds of crabs. We found safe havens as the sea pushed up into a small pond where a miniature scale coral reef settled under the setting sun; likewise we found danger as we tried to find our way through all the boulders back to our beach. Some of us spent the nights on the beach, where through the haze of mosquitoes the sound of the waves lapping against the shoreline rocked us to sleep.

Our trip was not only to see the parts of Thailand that are secret, dear and preserved but to celebrate our time together. I became so close with so many people, made such wonderful friends, strengthened my relationships with others and I can't imagine the rest of my life without them. My friends mean everything to me, and I'd like to thank them for helping make my exchange, and our trips as amazing as they have been.

Though paradise is something I'll never forget, I love being home. Nakhon Phanom, though quiet, is the place I love the most in the world - my Never Never Land for the year. It feels lovely to be out of the hustle and bustle, to be free of salt water skin and to relax in the comfort of my bed with the sound of Thai country music playing from across the street. I've missed my family, neighbourhood and my city - and as of a week ago, I only have 4 months with them left.

"The depth of pure blue just to probe curiosity." - Boats and Birds, Gregory and the Hawk

3 comments:

Heather Smith said...

I LOVE YOU EMMA!!!!!!!! <3

Canadian Mama Bear said...

Emma, I know I'm prejudiced because you are my daugher, but wow you have a gift with words, with language, or shall I say languages! Well done, I felt like I was there with you.

Miss you

Mum

emmaelizabeth said...

thanks mommaa... i love you both! <3