สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sexuality

Sexuality is a very big part of Thai culture. Especially when it comes to sexual orientation. At first it really shocked and confused me at how many different sexual orientations there are and how forwardly they are expressed, but now it has come very comforting to me and I find it extremely normal. One of my guy friends even came out to being gay once he came to Thailand as he felt so comfortable with being himself here. However, unlike Canada there seems to be many different orientations when it comes to sexuality, and some of different qualities may give a person a completely different orientation. I have tried to explain them to a few people and they just get very confused so I thought I would break it down for those of you that I have yet to mention it to. I'm going to use the terms that Thai people use (mostly because the English terms and Thai terms usually have some differences and sometimes, there may not even be an English word).

1. Straight (there is no word in Thai)- Attracted to the opposite gender.

2. Gay - Boys who are attracted to other boys

3. Lesbian - Girls who are attracted to other girls

4. Bisexual (I don't know the Thai expression) - Someone who is attracted to both genders.

5. Katoei - Katoeis are boys who dress up like girls. In a highschool situation where you must wear a uniform this could just mean putting on makeup or carrying a purse but Katoeis who are out of school usually completely dress up, wear wigs and sometimes take hormones. Katoeis are the coolest Thai people ever in my opinion; they are so flamboyant and cheerful and they are almost always the best dressed.

6. Tootsie - Boys who get a sex change to become a woman

7. Tom - A Tom is a girl who dresses like a boy, cuts their hair like a boy and usually is flat chested. However, they do not take hormone pills or get plastic surgery, so most of the time they just look like very put together and somewhat feminine boys. "Tom" is short for "tomboy" - a girl who likes to look like a boy.

8. Dee - A Dee is a girl who likes Toms. They are different than lesbians because they are not exactly attracted to girls - they are simply attracted to girls who are dressed as boys, girls who LOOK like boys. (This is the hard one to understand)

That's all I can think of for now - I will add more if I learn any new ones.

"Will you stay with me, will you be my love" - Fields of Gold

3 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

That's pretty straight forward. Pun intended.

david1082 said...

Then there are the ones who don't fancy anybody except themselves - selfosexuals. I've been a practicing selfosexual for two years and have never looked back.

colettemasu said...

Dees.....P'Boss was trying to explain them to me but I just didn't get it...I still don't really. Oh, how sad is my ignorance...=(