สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Thursday, May 14, 2009

Homesickness

For the first time in my exchange I am really homesick. However, I am not homesick for Canada; instead I yearn for and miss my family and friends in Nakhon Phanom. It seems rediculous but being away from all my friends, my family and my city for two weeks has really put a damper on me. Not only am I missing them but I have been immersed in Bangkok and Phuket where you can barely tell you are in Thailand aside from the sweltering heat and cheap prices. The streets are crawling with falangs, food is overpriced and not the way Thai food is supposed to taste and fast food restaurants and shopping malls loom over top of you as you walk down the street. I miss chickens running around my feet, dogs lying on the sidewalks and broken sidewalks that almost break your ankles. I have left the country I have come to love behind and instead have entered a country named Thailand where nothing is the Thailand that I love so much. I miss going to P'Oom's shop for Thai tea and toast with condensed milk; riding my bike through the streets and along the riverside; watching the groups of people working out at aerobics; sitting with Suzanne at Meurang watching and making fun of falangs that enter our habitat. I miss learning the dance moves to Korean pop songs with my host sisters; letting my crazy cat in from outside when she climbs up my window screen and showering with a bucket (who knew I would come to love the bucket so much?). Bangkok is nice, Phuket is nicer, but they aren't Thailand. They aren't filled with culture, amazing sounds and delicious food that screams anything but "falang". I miss my home.

4 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

I feel I should make a comment but my mind is blank right now.

Random thought: I want to just get in a car with some awesome people and drive and not have any set destination or any time limit as to when I have to be somewhere. Essentially a road trip with no planned destination. Then just find as many random and crazy things to do.

Lioness said...

So...Guess what I'm listening to right now...Hua lai tood!! I felt that way when I was in Khon Kaen even... The exchangers kept going to Mcdonald's, swenson's, KFC and Starbucks. oh and my security word was FLOST. Flost???

emmaelizabeth said...

jared.
lets do that when i get back

ill come up to your home and we can just drive and play rock paper scissors for left and right turns until we see something that inspires us.
good idea?

me thinks so


and suzanne.. i miss you you crazy curvy kosher pickle. i will see you soon.
lots of kisses <33333333333

Jared Stryker said...

Yes! That sounds frickin awesome.