สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mrs. Dictionary

Last week three foreigners from Holland were travelling in Laos. After one of the girls seriously injured herself while tubing, they were brought to Nakhon Phanom to the hospital.

It was 9pm at night and my first host mother called me. She wanted me to go to the hospital and translate for the doctors what the girls wanted, and in return explain all the procedures and tests the doctors were going to do. I felt really bad for the girl, but it was a really exciting experience. When I got to the hospital the doctors pulled me into an office and explained to me all of the questions I needed to ask them about medical insurance, the type of room they would like etc. I also had to explain to them that the next day she would have a CT scan and they were going to be frequently taking blood samples and Ultrasounds. I gave them my number so they could call me if they had any problems and the next day the friends of the patient called me asking to give a message to the hospital.

It's exciting how well my Thai is getting. I feel proud that now instead of replying to "Can you speak Thai?" with "I can speak a little Thai", I can now say "I can speak Thai". I feel proud that instead of being told I speak well, I am told my accent is just like a Thai. I feel proud that I can be a translator for other falangs, that I can wander the city by myself and have no problem talking to people and that I can now understand everything that is said in yoga classes.

"All I can do is keep breathing"

4 comments:

Taylor said...

Isn't it exciting when you can translate!

I did the same thing this week for the New Zealand girl. I felt so proud...it's like tribal knowledge or something.

Jared Stryker said...

Nice!
You're really kicking Thai language butt!

Word verification: Exism (discrimination pf past relaionships or the letter "x" ?)

Matt St Jean said...

Are you still going to be able to speak English when you get home to Canada? Whenever I go to Quebec for long periods of time my English sucks when I get back. My friend went to Poland for 4 months and when he came back he could only say Yes.

emmaelizabeth said...

my english is getting really bad.. i forgot the word 'analysis' the other day and called it 'analyzation' ... it's stupid things like that that i forgot now.