สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Monday, July 13, 2009

Exchange Students

There's something different about exchange students. There's just a feel to them that's... right. They talk a certain way, have certain body language and they're just so easy to get along with. I'm not talking about the exchange students in Thailand. I'm talking about the Thai exchange students who have been on exchange.

A normal Thai teenager is shy, conservative and usually unwilling to phone you unless you call them first. They are afraid of rejection, what their parents might think and most of all, they are worried they won't be able to connect with you because of cultural differences. However, Thai exchange students who have been to the Western world are just the opposite.

They wear what they want, say what they feel and love to go out late at night. They drive through red lights (not that anyone really follows red lights in Thailand), leave school if they don't have class (usually a big No No) and are the first ones on the band wagon to call a falang. I don't have to call them, they will call me. They want to practice their English as much as I want to practice my Thai. So we come to a consensus and speak a mixture of both languages, always with complete understanding. It is always a good time with an exchange student, whether we are watching a movie at their house, eating at a restaurant, singing karaoke or just driving around looking for somethign that sparks imagination for our next destination.

The two AFS exchange students who have just come home from America are "Art" and "Kate". The past few days we have spent time together continuously; driving around on their motorbikes, leaving school to rent ghost movies or eating lunch together in the cafeteria. Now that most of my friends have left for University (or in Suzanne's case, another country) they are my new best friends; the people I spend the most time with and the first faces I look for when I get to school in the morning. They are the new Kate and Klao, the new Noo and Sing.

Sometimes I think this entire year has been a test; a test of letting go and moving on. Rotary tests us by putting us with other falangs for 14 days straight until we are not just friends, but family. Then they send us home to our cities and only let us visit each other under extreme circumstances. Then they push us together for a spare weekend before sending us home. The school puts me in M6 and then halfway through the year my friends leave me and I cannot go to University with them. All of these small tests are strengthening us and testing us so that when it comes for the real break, the real departure, where we truly need to let go and move on, we are ready. I can't say that I am ready to go back to Canada, but I'm used to leaving my friends. I've passed the point of crying for hours, moping around the town and steering clear of anything that reminds me of the gradually decreasing time (which, by the way is 18 days). I have adapted, I have made new friends; though I am scared to leave them, the doom is not as impending as it once was.

"Never before has someone been more unforgettable in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay,
That's why, darling, it's incredible that someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am unforgettable too"
- My twin sister's Facebook page :)

3 comments:

Lioness said...

I Lurve you. You know that right? These girls sound super cool. Art and Kate?

Evans said...

We will miss reading of your Thai adventures when you return home Emma. But I know your family and friends are very anxious to see you home again. It's been fun living vicariously through your stories (and postcards - thank you!!) and we look forward to seeing you at home and hearing more. We are all counting down the days and wish you a safe and happy journey home.
Sandra and David

Jared Stryker said...

Exchange students in general are different from other people. In a good way ;)