สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rememberance

The long and stimulating adventure of trial and error, understanding and transition has come to an end; today I leave the Land of Smiles.

Thailand is my Land of Oz, my Wonderland; that special place over the rainbow where life turns from black and white to a frenzy of hypnotic colours, dancing munchkins and never ending tea parties. My life has changed from that of a normal Canadian teenage girl to one most people can only dream of. Though I will be returning back up the rabbit hole to that land of black and white, I will bring my own colour - I have learned to do that much from this magnificent country. I am a different person; I am a person who will forever see the world differently, who will think in a different manner and speak with a different tune. When I left Canada I did not know what I would come upon, what changes I would feel, how different I may become. It was a fear, a nervousness and an excitement that drove me towards the plane. The same emotions rush over me as I contemplate my return to Canada. I return to I country I once knew, a country that will have forever changed, with a mind open and ready to see my country in a different light.

I can not feel anything other than gratitude for everyone that has brought me to such a marvelous place, for what will possibly be the most remembered and treasured year of my life.

Firstly, thank you to all the Rotarians who have helped me through this year, the year before my exchange and for the future help in my return to Canadian culture. It's been a rollercoaster of a ride and I would never have made it here had it not been for you all.
To all my friends back home who patiently put up with my lack of emails when I was either too frusterated, busy or lazy to sit down at the computer. Special love goes out to those friends that even with the technological world's strong pull, kept touch by the most personal way possible - the little red post box.
To my friends in Thailand who have made this exchange not just spectacular, not just amazing, but brilliant. It's been the most refreshing, eye opening and transforming year of my life, and you all have been a huge part of my success.
My loving Thai parents, Mae Daeng, Mae Eiu, Mae Suk, Por Ood, Por Dto, Por , you mean the world to me. Your hospitality and care, compassion and understanding for everything I had to overcome amazed me, I feel so at home with you and love you like no other. Thank you for opening your homes to me, giving to me relentlessly and always looking out for you. เอ็มม่ารักพ่อแม่มากๆนะค่ะ เอ็มม่าจะไม่มีวันลืมขรอบครัวของเรา ขอบคูณมากที่ให้เอ็มม่ามีบ้านที่นอนและขรอบครัวดีๆ
Finally to the people who have put up with me through everything, spent endless hours with me on the phone, going through applications for Rotary and being there for me more than anyone this entire year. I can't thank you, my family, enough for supporting me for so long, for putting your feelings aside for mine and for letting me go on this journey even though it hurt so much for us to part. I love you all so much, and I can't wait to give you all a big hug at the aiport tomorrow. It will be the highlight of my return.

I will never forget what I have learned here.

Love your family
Care for others...
Believe.

"You never really leave a place or person you love, part of them you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."

4 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

What a good way to sum up your year :) It's been an amazing read from beginning to end ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Emma. As I am writing this, your family is at the airport awaiting your walk down that path that brings you home to them. I know there will be tears of joy all around. Your blogs have been amazing, and we look forward to hearing more stories when you settle into your home here in Burlington.
Love Sandra and David

Lioness said...

KITEUNG!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi :)

I am trying to set up a website about the exchange-student experience. I am also trying to gather some information on how it is to be and to host exchange-students and ratings of organizations in the hope to make the overall experience better for all parts. If you like I would also very much like to add your blog to my website.

The website is called:
http://www.exchange-student.co.cc/