สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Wednesday, July 1, 2009

K-OTIC

On Tuesday a Thai pop/boy band came to play a concert at my school to promote isaan basketball competition that is being held here. Students from 19 different provinces are now sleeping on the 3rd floor of the english building and have taken up the entire math building - K-OTIC came to sing some songs and open the beginning of the competition.
K-OTIC is not my favourite Thai band by far - they have more of a hiphop/r&b style which I'm not the biggest fan of. I'm more of a rock and roll type of girl. Either way, they have some catchy songs - plus it helps that I have a "mad-school-girl-crush" on the Korean singer, Jongbae.
The concert was really awesome, though sickly hot and humid - most of the students from my school as well as hundreds of students from the other schools in Nakhon Phanom were jampacked into our little gym which not only doesn't have air conditiong, but is lacking in the fan department. By the middle of the concert, sweat was dripping down the back of my legs and I had to wipe my face on my purse - quite an attractive look, I think. All of the student soldiers where there to keep the screaming girls back (some even tried to jump over the barriers blocking the fans from the small blocked off stage) and I got pushed so often, and almost too roughly for a crowd of 13 year old Thai girls.
I have met the singers before when I was in Bangkok and I had spoken with them and told them I was an exchange student. They were shocked and excited to hear I could speak Thai and rewarded me with pictures of us together. At this concert, there was no time or space to say hello, but I like to think they recognised me as the looked over, smiled and waved. However, I might just be delusional, which is completely possible.

Koen - This is the band member that I spoke the most too. At the concert on Tuesday, he was not only wearing a leather jacket, but TWO pairs of jeans. Both complete with belts. I still wonder about Thai clothing style sometimes.

Jongbae - I also got to talk to him before, but not for long. He goes to the best school in Thailand which is also an international university in Bangkok. Maybe I will casually bump into him one day if I go to visit Noo and Sing who go to school there.

Poppy - The lead singer of the band - probably because most Thai girls like him.. he's "NARAK JUNG!!!" (so cute!)

K-OTIC - There are 5 guys in the band - ranging in age from 16-20, also ranging in height from "small for a Thai person" to "falang size". The other two boys are "Tomo" and "Kenta". Though a lot of Thai girls like Tomo, I personally think he looks like a girl :) No offense.

5 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

Casually meeting Thai boy bands...yup sounds like everyday life to me.

emmaelizabeth said...

haha
ohhhh yeah.
they're so hot - i almost cried hahaha.

Lioness said...

Luck girl you....

Olivia Mae Sanderson said...

Hi Emma. You're living in Thailand? Or was that a while ago? Are you going to NYC this year? Anyways off topic. This is an awesome blog. I got alot myself but none as awesome as yours. Thailand sounds cool. I wish I could go one day. Maybe one day I will but for now I am stuck in this town called St Catharines. By the way you are like my new hero for actually going and getting there. Kudos to you. K-OTIC sounds cool.

emmaes said...

Hey! This was back in 2008/2009. I wish it was right now though! Thank you very much. You should look up KOTIC. They are great.