สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mr. Postman

One of, if not THE most upsetting feeling ever is waiting for letters and not getting any.
I've never been the person to check the mailbox every time I come home, or the kind of person who checks the stack of mail on the table to see if there is anything for me. I don't even check the mailbox or the table while I'm in Thailand [though I have a better chance of recieving something that isn't a bank statement]. People have told me they sent me letters and that there are packages on their way, but I don't sit in anticipation waiting for them to arrive on my doorstep. However, when I pull up on my friend's motorbike the same time the postman does I can't help but get excited as he pulls out envelopes and pops them into the mailbox. I shriek. Like a little girl who has just seen a mouse. Of course when I go over they aren't for me. Not one. Even more upsetting than that is coming home to see a big parcel on the table along with letters. I kick my shoes off, throw open the door and literally run over to see that they are addressed to my host parents, from my host sister. None for Emma. I swear the postman hates me and relishes in teasing me with notes, letters and parcels, none of which are for me.
Today however, I was minding my own business [walking around the room with my electric fly swatter, looking for the misquitos that had just finished sucking my blood dry] when I heard a motorbike pull up outside. Sing was picking me up to go to yoga so I grabbed my backpack and my key and walked to the door when I saw a young man walking through my garage. It was the postman. And in his hand was the most glorious thing I have seen since Jeanne's postcard... a small parcel that could only be the pictures Mom had promised. I couldn't stop grinning as I signed for the package, answered the same questions I hear every day [Where are you from? Have you eaten yet? What is your name? How old are you? Can I have your email? (No you cannot) How about your phone number? (You can't have that either)] and thanked the postman with the biggest smile and wave I have given in a long time. Pictures. Magical pictures of my cats and my dog, my family and my friends.

I had finally recieved something; life in Canada DOES exist.

"If the world were to blow up I wouldn't be scared, I would be going with all my favourite people"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

emma
my little twin who i love so much
i have wrote you 8 letters but of course i havent sent them yet
you knoe me to well to know i wouldnt hand write all of those because
a. my hand writting sucks ass
and
b. im too lazy to fins paper thats wrinkle free and nice coloured pens to write with

so they are typed but since my laptop doesnt have a printer i have yet to send them to the downstairs computer to print them off

so even though it may seem like you arent recieving any letters just relax and enjoy yourself before my random ass letters come in the mail and you have to read every single one of them

ki teung faa feat

i love you twin

cradle to grave
xxs and oos
ashley

Anonymous said...

Awe, I will try and write you a letter, but honestly I don't know what I would write. I could think of something I'm sure. But since you are so lonely and deprived of packages, I will do this for you.

And that's rather interesting/creepy that they would ask you for your email address and phone number, strangers who do not even know them.

-Lauren