สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Friday, September 26, 2008

The Music Man

[Me attempting to play Zombie at the Rotary Camp]

I've never been that interested in playing guitar; my mom has one in Canada and it always looked like fun, but every time someone tried to teach me I gave up. I'm kind of a quitter when it comes to doing things that need constant practice. We do have a class at MM Robinson in Burlington, but I've never had the time in my school schedule to fit it in, and I was always too busy after school to sit down and learn with someone... or my computer. However I have always been extremely envious of girls who can play the guitar, as well as sing along [it is a skill that must truly be mastered]. This past year I have also really gotten into Indie and Folk music and I've always wanted to be able to play my favourite songs on the guitar and sing along.

[Kate and Pee Lek, my future host mother]

Once I arrived in Thailand I was able to pick my own courses at school, so when I found out they had a Guitar class I was SOOO excited. Since I don't do anything in school here, Guitar is one of the only classes where I can actually focus on something and try to make progress. And I am. After only two classes I could play the C major scale [2 octaves] a short song using the scale and three chords: C, G, Eminor.
Not only have I been learning at school, but my friends LOVE to sit around and jam on the guitar during their free periods. They especially love to sing English songs with me and even compliment me on my vocal talents [which are rare]. For some reason EVERY Thai person here seems to know "Zombie" by the Cranberries. How, or why, I have no idea; but I do know that most of my friends in Canada don't even know that song, and they are English. Anyways, my Thai friends like to play Zombie on their guitars and have me sing along [as well as I can]. One day I decided I should start learning to play Zombie on the guitar myself so I can jam FOR my Thai friends. It's coming along, I have started to form callises on my finger tips [YAY], and I can strum the chords properly. We are now on school break so I never have the chance to play the guitar. So today I bought my own guitar so that I can practice everyday and try to get better. I have just started learning the chords to "Marching Bands of Manhattan" and I am teaching Kate and Klao the words so they can sing along. It's really fun :) At the rate I'm going, by the time I get home to Canada I hope to be able to play guitar AND sing, at the SAME time.. and I will be a crazy yoga professional. EXCITEMENT!!

"If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been. I would take more chances. I would take more trips. I would climb more mountains, swim more ribers and watch more sunsets" - Nadine Stair "I'd Pick More Daisies"

3 comments:

Jared Stryker said...

*is also trying to learn guitar*

Taylor said...

Not gonna lie I actually know that song lmao
My host bro says he will teach me something on the guiatr it has yet to happen
btw love the blue shirt ;)

Sarah said...

hi, I'm sarah! I know suzanne, and am now kinda stalking your blog.. 555

we had two kids last year who played guitar really well, and it was a highlight of every rotary trip :) it was so much fun, so go for it!!

Also, yes on EVERY SINGLE THAI PERSON knowing zombie. it's ridiculous. whenever i hear it now i think of thailand.

:)