สวัสดีค่ะ

My new address is:
2/1 Soy Prachasuksan
Muang Nakhon Phanom City
Nakhon Phanom Province
48000 THAILAND
If you would like to look at videos from my trip I am uploading them at www.youtube.com/user/emma1elizabeth

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for. "

"See things as they are and write about them. Don’t waste your creative energy trying to make things up. Even if you are writing fiction, write the things you see and know."

Sometimes my weeks are full of adventure,
And sometimes my weeks are relaxing and slow.
So please be patient with updates,
You want to read them as much as I want to write them.
Peace and Love.

PS. As this is an imperfect world and as this adventure I am on is full of unexpected surprises, I would like to apologise in advance for any comments that may seem offensive or full of frusteration. This whole experience is new and exciting for me, but there are things that I find different and frusterating. I'm not writing about them to complain, but to write the truth of my exchange, the people I meet and all of the places I go to. Because if everything were perfect, it wouldn't be an adventure... it would be a vacation.


Tuesday, September 2, 2008

One Month

I have been away from home for 31 days. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?
In a way it feels just like yesterday that I waved goodbye to my family, hopped on a plane weighed down with a Tommy Hilfiger rucksack [courtesy of Chelsea deLeeuw], a carry on suitcase and my not-that-attractive-but-definetely-noticeable Rotary blazer.

Now, a month later:
I am living with caring parents in a house that is three stories high and full of pictures of the King
I have a pink bicycle with a basket and a little bell that I feel mortified to ride, but am grateful for since it provides me with transportation everwhere
I have a key, a cellphone, an intercom number and a bulletin board about me at my school
I have my own room that I have organised and attempted to decorate complete with all my cards along the back of my headboard
The couch in our den has my backside imprint in it
I am attending a school that cares whether or not I show up
I have friends who invite me out to dinner with them, or to teach me sports
I know my way around well enough that I can bike to the market, the coffee shop, to get crepes and to drop off friends without having to ask for directions
I make myself dinner sometimes, I pack my own lunch and I buy groceries
I no longer find the bathrooms, showers, lack of ovens or stray dogs weird
I considered asking my host parents if I could buy a puppy [though I didn't because I remembered there would be no way of bringing it to Canada]
I find my own transportation whether by motorcycle, sam law, bicycle or walking to get around the city
I have been to a Buddhist mass and have visited too many Wats to count on my fingers
I have changed the way I do my hair, the way I dress and the way I get ready in the morning
I am much more polite with my elders, and much more outgoing with my friends
I have learned to cook some Thai dishes

Though it seems like the time has flown by it feels as if all of this could not have happened in only one month. I have started to wonder how close of friendships I will have by the end of the year, and I know I will be heartbroken to leave all of this behind. I feel like I belong here. I feel like a part of a family, a normal student, a normal citizen [despite the stares].
One month out of twelve and I can already say this is the most liberating and heartwarming experience of my life.

"We are who we protect; What we stand for"

Peace and Love always, Kulap

2 comments:

Taylor said...

and here I am waiting for the three month mark because "apparently" that is when I'll be fluent.

if only,if only

emmaelizabeth said...

haha it will come in time i'm sure.
i don't know how long it will be for me to be fluent
maybe 2028